pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Feature request: add port to servers, label servers

From: Phil
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Feature request: add port to servers, label servers for use with localhost
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 12:07:56 -0800 (PST)

--- Jack Cuyler <address@hidden> wrote:
<snip>

> As a workaround for your issue, you could use
> aliases to your /etc/hosts
> and then use those aliases rather than an IP or
> "localhost" in pan.  For
> example, say that you are using 3 news servers,
> new.gigaserver.com,
> news.servernews.com and news.easynntp.com, each with
> it's own tunnel.
>
> In /etc/hosts, add names for each on the 127.0.0.1
> line (all one line):
>
> 127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost
> gigaserver servernews easynntp
>

> Set up your tunnels as usual.  Then in pan, specify
> each server by the
> new name and tunneled port.  Each will still resolve
> to 127.0.0.1, but it
> will be easier for you to distinguish which is
> which.

Thanks very much Jack.   Do you think though servers
will be given user-defined labels again in a (near)
future Pan release?  Surely makes sense?

Meanwhile I will give the workaround a try, thanks.

Also: I guess I'm not the only one to say it, but
expanding Pan to post binary attachments might be nice
too.  Seems to be a big disadvantage vis a vis XNews
etc etc.  Other than these things, I like Pan very much.

Be a better friend, newshound, and