pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Connections

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Connections
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 03:44:43 +0000 (UTC)

Greg Lee <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:12:47
+0000:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:19:33 -0400, Timothy J. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> After exiting Pan, when I check the server connections in "edit news
>> servers", Pan shows a maximum of 4 connections. Further, when I reopen
>> servers.xml after closing Pan, the connection limit in servers.xml  is
>> reset to 4.
>
> That used to happen to me, too.  I'd set it to 8, then Pan would just
> set it back to 4.  In fact, I complained about it here, then when
> someone questioned whether Pan would really do that, I re-checked my
> working Pan to see.  This time, after I set the number of connections up
> to 8, it stayed at 8.  Rather embarassing.
>
> I don't know what's going on there.  As a wild guess, the server is
> giving Pan information about what the max is, and that information
> doesn't always correspond with what is advertised for the server.

Maybe it has something to do with Walt's answer.  You can edit
servers.xml to increase the number, but...

1) You must always do it with pan closed so closing pan doesn't reset the
number, and...

2) The edit server dialog will still say four connections, but pan will
continue using the additional connections set in the file (as can be seen
by the number of active connections while downloading) as long as you hit
cancel to the dialog, so it doesn't actually save the setting of four
back to the file.  If you hit save, it'll save what it says, presumably
four connections, back to the servers.xml file, and then you'll be
screwed until you edit it with pan closed, again.

At least, that's how it's supposed to work and how it has worked for me,
here.