pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Humongous bodacious goof

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Humongous bodacious goof
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:19:35 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 19 Aug 2008
20:48:50 +0000:

>       I've been looking at a very busy group, where I started
> systematically ignoring authors and threads. I did the old trick with
> is/ is not -- but on an author instead of on the group. So now there are
> only a couple of messages from me there.
>
>       I know this is called scoring, and I have to go find a file and
> delete things. But where? I don't see a likely candidate in .pan2 ...

There are two ways to fix this:

1) Ignore the scorefile, use pan to fix it.

1a) Set view, header pane, match scores of -9999 (ignored), and all the
posts should reappear.

1b) Select a post you want to /undo/ the score on, and select articles,
edit article's watch/ignore score.

1c) Remove the offending score.  Hit close and rescore, watch the scores
all go back to normal.

1d) Don't forget to reverse step 1 again, toggling the match ignored back
off, or you'll still be matching them for other posts you actually
/wanted/ ignored.

2) Find the scorefile and delete the score there, then trigger a rescore.

Until a few versions ago, AFAIK pan kept the scorefile in ~/news or ~/
News or some such, IDR exactly.  This was for compatibility with slrn,
for those that used both and wanted to use the same scorefile, since
that's where it kept it, I believe.  I believe the default is now to
create the scorefile (names Score, capital S) in ~/.pan2, but pan will
still use the ~/news/ or ~/News/ or ~/.news/ or whatever it was location,
if you already have a scorefile there.

Thus, check ~/news/ (and variants).  You'll probably find your scorefile
there.

You can either edit the scorefile with pan closed, or when you are done,
select any post and hit article, edit articles' watch/ignore score, then
(without changing anything) close and rescore, to trigger the rescore on
the currently open group.

Personally, I'd do the latter, editing the scorefile myself, but then I
have it nicely organized and would be afraid pan would screw it up if I
told it to delete something.  Since you don't know where it is, you
obviously haven't spent much time manually organizing it, and using pan
to remove the score will likely be simpler for you.