pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Messages not visible (again)

From: Julien Michielsen
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Messages not visible (again)
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:58:29 +0200

A few weeks earlier I posted:

> A few days ago I posted a message that pan did not show the messages
> it had collected from the server. I got a message from Duncan that the
> error probably was caused by an old ~/.pan directory. So - as he
> suggested - I created a new .pan2 directory, and everything went fine
> (I thought): I could read the newly posted messages, and I thought I
> could read messages and use Pan as it was intended. However, a few
> days later when I tried to collect new messages, they did not show up
> in the pan-panel.  ..[] cut

Duncan answered:
-Are you still using 0.132?  If you haven't upgraded to 0.133, have you
-checked to see if your distribution has patched that security vuln I
-mentioned in the other post?

Yes, I did (and do) still use .132  (pan-0.132-120.1, SuSE-11). Tried to
install .14 but ran into compilation errors, and re-installed the
.132-rpm.The program starts fine, and collects messages from the server.

However, no read messages show up in the right pan-panel. I can see the
messages in my ~/.pan2 direcory, like
ls .pan2/groups -l
total 3043
-rw------- 1 julien users   35845 Oct  8 16:31 comp.ai
-rw------- 1 julien users   44342 Oct  8 16:32 comp.ai.genetic

The contents of these files is not readable for me. Showing the contents
of the top 10 lines of the comp.ai.genetic news-file:
$       Tim Tyler <address@hidden>
        %       "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
148
<address@hidden>
        <>*<> AI Science & Music & Meditation <>*<>
        %
        1212693884
        2:a:30886 2:c:71800 2:z:205951 2:e:239187 2:w:68544
        f 30
        1
<address@hidden> 2294
<address@hidden>
        Re: QSAA Guidleines Involving Digital Media and Aquisitions
Through  Forms and Licenses

I suppose this is the contents of messages in the comp.ai.genetic news-
group, and that - things going well - this should be displayed in one of
the pan-panels. I edited my preferences to collect new headers when the
group is entered. But nothing shows up yet. . . .

--
Julien Michielsen
julien_at_michkloo.xs4all.nl