pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan ignoring a watched thread

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan ignoring a watched thread
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:50:02 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:51:33
-0700:

> I'm trying to get some help for my sister's Windows box from a Usenet
> group.  To make sure I don't lose track of where my posts are, I told
> Pan to Watch the thread.  This seems to have the effect of setting the
> thread to -9999, Ignore, not +9999, Watch.  (I don't *think* I clicked
> the wrong item.)  Every time I check, I can't see my posts unless I set
> Pan to show Ignored posts.  I've even set a scoring rule that all posts
> that end with [ending of my post's subject] are to be set to +9999, but
> that does no good.  Any thoughts?
>
> If you need it, I'm using the most recent version of Pan available for
> Fedora 9.

OK, there's a feature /I/ just (re?)discovered in 0.133, but I think it
has been there for awhile.

As you said, set pan to display all posts.  Select a mis-scored post and
select either from the popup menu (context on the post in the header
pane) or from the Articles menu, the Edit Article's Watch/Ignore/Score
option.

That should popup a dialog with the various scores applying, and their
effect.  You can remove the bad score and add a new one, then hit close
and rescore.

Alternatively, edit the scorefile directly.  It will probably be in the
default ~/.pan2 directory if your pan install is fairly new, but may be
in ~/news/Scorefile (or was it News or .news...? should be easily found
in any case) if it's an older install.  (The second location is
apparently compatible with slrn, as pan and slrn use a very similar
scorefile format.  It used to be the default but that changed with newer
versions as the old location was confusing for those who didn't know
about the compatibility thing.)  The slrn scorefile doc can be useful,
tho pan isn't quite that advanced (it doesn't do includes, etc, AFAIK).
Also, pan's scorefile is normally case insensitive.  Of course, either
edit the file with pan closed or trigger a rescore, say by leaving and
reentering the group, to get your changes to take.

http://www.slrn.org/docs/score.txt