pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: SSL enabled usenet server

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: SSL enabled usenet server
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:09:26 +0000 (UTC)

<address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below,
on  Mon, 02 Feb 2009 23:38:13 +0900:

> My Usenet provider is "SSL enabled": it ensures that my ISP cannot scan
> my download traffic. Indeed some ISPs attempt to scan traffic and
> throttle usenet traffic!!
>
> Unfortunately, when I configure pan 0.132 to use a "secure Usenet
> server", it never connects.
>
> How can I access an SSL-enabled Usenet server with Pan?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Pan does not itself have a built-in encryption handler.  It understands
NNTP, period.  However, many people have used pan to connect indirectly
to a secure host using a local redirection service/proxy.

I've not personally done so, so I won't attempt to get into detail I
don't know, but the general idea is to setup a local proxy much like the
privoxy (formerly junkbuster) proxy I use between my browser and the
general Internet, to filter various unwanted junk such as ads.  You run
the local proxy setup to listen on a particular TCP port on localhost
(127.0.0.1, normally, tho any IP in the 127/8 subnet should work on an
RFC compliant networking stack), and forward any socket connections it
receives to the appropriate remote server, in this case your NSP (news
service provider).  Where privoxy's purpose is filtering junk from web
pages before displaying them in the browser, the purpose here would be to
encrypt the request before forwarding to the remote, and decrypting the
results as they return, before forwarding them locally to your news
client, in this case pan.

It's a pretty basic idea, really.  Unfortunately I don't know what
applications can actually be used for the encryption case.  Presumably if
you're familiar with SSH, you'll already know or can find out by looking
in the docs.  If not, google should be of help, but someone else will
probably step up with the name of the app in question and some info on
configuring it.