pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: SSL enabled usenet server

From: Per Hedeland
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: SSL enabled usenet server
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 22:39:44 +0100 (CET)

pan user <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 20:50 +0100, Beso wrote:

>> > There is also Putty, which makes SSH a bit easier.
>> >
>> for what i know putty is useful as a secure alternative to telnet and
>> similar, because it provides direct ssh connection to
>> an enabled ssh server. ssl instead is used for a transparent ssl
>> encoding of services. it can be used also for other types of traffic,
>> like emails or http browsing. it usually has default setting for a
>> number of different services but for what i know
>> nntp ssl needs to be configured. you set the secure socket redirection
>> with stunnel on a loopback device port and use
>> pan authentication over it. for pan the server would be the loopback
>> device one, while stunnel will take care of tunneling
>> the traffic to the end provider.
>
>I route all my connections through ssh tunnels, e-mail, http, nntp by
>way of port forwarding.
>
>Either way, stunnel or ssh tunnel, will work, boils down to personal
>likes.

No, SSL != SSH, the only thing they have in common is "encryption". You
have no use for SSH when talking to a SSL-enabled server, and you have
no use for stunnel when talking to a SSH server - which is what you need
to do to establish a SSH tunnel. Of course it's theoretically possible
for a News provider to provide both "direct" access via SSL to their
NNTP server and a SSH server on the same host that can a) terminate a
SSH tunnel and b) make a cleartext connection to that same NNTP server -
but I bet it's "unusual".

--Per Hedeland