pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: SSL enabled usenet server

From: Beso
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: SSL enabled usenet server
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 20:50:55 +0100

2009/2/2 pan user <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 19:27 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>> "address@hidden"
>> <address@hidden> posted
>> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:27:22
>> +0100:
>>
>> > Well, if you are doing it this way, you never use SSL. To use ssl with
>> > pan, you have to use stunnel.
>>
>> stunnel!  /That's/ the app that I've seen people mentioning!  Thanks.  I
>> had forgotten the name, thus deliberately avoided mentioning it in my
>> initial explanation.
>>

> There is also Putty, which makes SSH a bit easier.

for what i know putty is useful as a secure alternative to telnet and
similar, because it provides direct ssh connection to
an enabled ssh server. ssl instead is used for a transparent ssl
encoding of services. it can be used also for other types of traffic,
like emails or http browsing. it usually has default setting for a
number of different services but for what i know
nntp ssl needs to be configured. you set the secure socket redirection
with stunnel on a loopback device port and use
pan authentication over it. for pan the server would be the loopback
device one, while stunnel will take care of tunneling
the traffic to the end provider.

--
dott. ing. beso