pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] A delete private data option?

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] A delete private data option?
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:54:16 -0800

Paul Crawford wrote:
I noticed that pan keeps stuff in the ~.pan2 folder including most of
the cache of partly transfered files and group settings.

However, I tried to manually clear the article-cache and groups
directories after closing pan, then restarted it and found that it
'remembered' the previously read articles.

So my two questions are:

(1) Where else is the newsgroup transfer / access history stored?

The standard mechanism on the unix side of the fence is to record
the 'already read' data in a 'newsrc' file.  pan stores one newsrc
file for each server in .pan2/newsrc-1 (2,3,etc).

As an example, here is a very small portion of my newsrc-1 file:
gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.announce!
gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.devel: 0-1112
gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user: 0-10782,10785

This signifies that I've read all of the articles in pan.user
except 10783 and 10784, and I've never read pan.announce at all.

The headers you download are stored in .pan2/groups/ and could
easily be deleted, of course, but you'd have to download them
again every time you visit the group. Kind of expensive for binary groups.