pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Forcing an expire?

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Forcing an expire?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 03:50:39 -0500

On 2009-07-09 21:28, Duncan wrote:
Ron Johnson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 09 Jul 2009 11:48:18
-0500:

After reading this:
   http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/linux-pdflush.htm

and especially this thread:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/1/7/303

I boosted dirty_ratio from 10 to 30 and dirty_background_ratio from 5 to
10.

Now tasks.nzb.tmp seems to get written 3x faster.

Thanks!!!

Cool! =:^)

The problem now is that the nntp pipes are so fat that, "because" of multi-threading, the tasks.nzb.tmp flush starts again only 3-5 seconds after the previous flush completed.

This is why I was pushing for on-disk structures instead of having to flush memory structures to disk.

If SQLite is bad, then maybe Berkeley DB. It's got rollbacks, fine grained locking. KLibido, a KDE newsreader, uses it for a similar purpose.

*Something* so that a 10KB change in tasks does not require a 300MB file to be written to disk.

BTW, I don't know what kernel you are on, but on the leading edge,

A home-rolled 2.6.28.

uncovered and stop-gap fixed in kernel 2.6.29, fixed more correctly in 2.6.30, and possibly settle-in fixes to in-development 2.6.31 (I'm not

I'll have to upgrade soon.

sure on that), there have been a number of some would say way too late changes to the way ext3 handles such things. This was in large part rooted in a MAJOR kerflukle with ext4 development, that uncovered a number of badly chosen defaults and policy decisions and implementations in existing ext3 and the under development ext4.

I lost a WHOLE LOT of downloads from an ext4-over-lvm2 mishap. Must have been an unclean (or non-existent) umount on shutdown.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer