pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: OT: calling all old-timers -- using * for attributions

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: OT: calling all old-timers -- using * for attributions
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:38:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:03:19 +0000, Robert Marshall wrote:

> I go back to the late 80's too in usenet use - I can recall a variety of
> prefix characters for quoting but not *'s - they were used - as in your
> reply for emphasis

Yeah, that's what I remember seeing then as well.  In fact, the common
usage of "/" for denoting emphasis is relatively new as I recall.

> I've just looked up the 1993 version of the supercite manual
>
> http://www.fnal.gov/docs/products/emacs/v19_34/sc_1.html
>
> (I used to use this) and that only (on a quick scan) seems to mention
> >'s quoting - apart from its own style of citation using name>

I do remember that style of quoting as well - when it got more than one
level deep, it was pretty hard to follow.  I think the reduction to ">"
was a way of controlling that better.

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson