pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: calling all old-timers -- using * for attributio

From: Brad Rogers
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: calling all old-timers -- using * for attributions
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 19:18:19 +0000

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:03:19 +0000
Robert Marshall <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello Robert,

> I go back to the late 80's too in usenet use - I can recall a variety
> of prefix characters for quoting but not *'s - they were used - as in
> your reply for emphasis

OP didn't mention quotes, but attributions.  Not the same thing.  The
attribution is the bit at the top saying who wrote the bit being quoted.

As you say, "*" along with "/" and "_" were used, in pairs around words
or phrases for emphasis.  Some FTN readers even did the necessary
embellishments to the text as, (LOOTAR alert) IIRC, new Pan can where "*"
represents bold, "/" italics and "_" underscored text.

--
 Regards  _

Black man got a lot of problems, but he don't mind throwing a brick
White Riot - The Clash