pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Old Pan quits unexpectedly

From: Tony Sivori
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan quits unexpectedly
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:31:42 -0500

Duncan wrote:
>> On 11/27/2009 11:24 AM, Tony Sivori wrote:
>>> Pan 14.2.91 on Kubuntu 8.04 (32-bit) with Kernel 2.6.24-23-generic.
>>>
>>> Quite a while back, Pan started shutting down when I'd read a post.
>>> What happens is the when I click the Subject to download the body, Pan
>>> instantly disappears. No error, no warning, and it is kind of
>>> startling.
>
> I am, but that's pretty good right there. =:^)
>
> Well... except that he specifically states old-pan (even a version, tho
> it's slightly incorrect, it should be 0.14.2.91), which used the ~/.pan
> directory instead of the newer ~/.pan2 dir.  But renaming the pandir is
> indeed what I'd suggest.

> It's possible to run pan from a terminal window, possibly with one of
> the --debug parameters (try --help to get a list), such that pan will
> use it for STDOUT/STDERR and spit out information that may help tracing
> down the problem.

Very helpful, thanks. It looks like two options might be relevant:

--debug-queue    Print debugging messages related to managing tasks

--debug-cache    Print debugging messages for the article cache

I'm now running pan with the debug-cache option. If I find anything
interesting I'll follow up in this thread.

--
Tony Sivori