pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: <searching|reading> saved articles?

From: Felix Karpfen
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: <searching|reading> saved articles?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:36:39 +1100

* address@hidden <address@hidden> [21.12.09 04:01]:

Charles Sullivan posted on Sat, 19 Dec 2009 05:27:38 -0500 as excerpted:

Older versions of PAN allowed you to create internal folders and save
articles in them.  Clicking on a folder then displayed the articles
saved in that folder just as if the folder were a newsgroup.

This feature was omitted in PAN version 2.  My opinion that this was one
of the most useful features of PAN is apparently not shared by many
others as requests for its restoration have fallen on deaf ears.

SNIP

in the previous implementation, expiration was locked to that of the
server. New-pan allows you to set your own expiration. Here, I set
no-expire and have posts going back several years, tho that does mean
setting the cache size manually, directly in the config file,

SNIP

Thus, it's possible to keep posts as they appear, directly in the
groups in question That's no longer needed since expiry is entirely
under user control now, and you can keep stuff indefinitely, directly
in the newsgroup itself, if desired (and **if you have disk space**).

So (1) the biggest reason for local folders has disappeared, expiry is
entirely under user control,

I had spotted that change and have yet to work out how to use this
feature.

If the "Delete Article" routine did indeed delete the selected downloaded articles from ~/.pan2/article-cache
AND there is an option to display (and search) either "unread" or "all" cached articles, then the
"save articles (text)" routine would be superfluous.

At present, I have failed woefully on both counts.

I note that my "article-cache" has entries that date back to April 2009 - despite the
fact that the setting under "Server Preferences" is set at the default (Expire Old
Articles After Two Weeks).  In addition, I have failed to find a routine for reloading the cached
out-of-date articles. I did not even know that they were still in the article-cache until I checked
just now.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen