pan-users

[Pan-users] Many Binaries Cannot Be Shown In Pan

From: Graham Todd
Subject: [Pan-users] Many Binaries Cannot Be Shown In Pan
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:18:09 +0000

For some time now, when viewing the newsgroup
alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper and clicking on a header, I get a
message just like this:

Attachment not shown: MIME type image/jpeg; filename Scenic Waterfall,
Iceland.jpg

(of course, the actual file name is different each time)

At first, I thought it was an incompatibility problem, but recently a
poster who is using Mint Linux has posted some screenshots of his
desktop and they've been showing up OK.  I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 BTW.  I
got in touch with him and it appears that he is not experiencing the
same level of "lost" attachments as I have.

My nntp account is with Giganews, who have assured me the problem is
not with any "censoring" by them, so before I go over to Mint Linux
(which is only a derivative of Ubuntu) could somebody give me a clue as
to the reason behind this?

The same thing happens with alt.binaries.wallpaper and
alt.binaries.pictures.weather, so doesn't appear isolated to one
newsgroup.  I've only subscribed to these newsgroups since installing
Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) so I do not know if there's a bug in Ubuntu or
Pan, but any guidance as to what I should do to be able to see these
attachments would be most welcome.

--
Graham Todd