pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: pan on Win 7 "attachment not shown" bug

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pan on Win 7 "attachment not shown" bug
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:40:11 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff posted on Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:32:40 -0700 as excerpted:

> I stuck with Win98 long after others had moved on partially

FWIW, there are two things, that still strike me as ironic about that
whole thing.

1) I ran the public betas for IE4 thru 5.5, and was inline for Windows 98
at midnight, the day it came out.  How fast that changed, both in where MS
went and where I went after that, for MS to pass the line I could not
cross with eXPrivacy, driving me to Linux.  1998-2001.  Three short years!
What a change and what an effect it had on my life!  Sometimes I look back
at what might have been had I gone another way... and shudder much as I do
when I think how close I came to blowing myself and possibly others up,
with the nervous breakdown that was the climax of my third and last
victimization.  Certainly, coming out of them and learning what was to me
the pretty literal survival point of assertive choice as I did, played a
big part in the degree to which I pursued Linux once I became aware that
MS was no longer an option I could personally tolerate, at least legally.
Had I stayed, I would have been playing the victim once again, and I was
**DONE** with that!

2) The fact that even tho I intellectually agreed that Linux was the way
to go, after a decade on MS, had MS not pushed me with where they took
eXPrivacy that I could not and would not go, I'd very possibly still be on
MS, today.  It was very much that push that got me to finally get down to
researching the switch in earnest, as I realized that I could not maintain
personal integrity and stay on a platform with the anti-user/anti-privacy
features of eXPrivacy.  One of the other choices (there's that word again)
that I had was going 100% pirate, disabling those anti-features, which
would have been highly ironic as well given that was the purported thing
they were trying to prevent, but Linux was the free conscience choice, and
I quickly realized after I switched the choice of freedom as well.  Yes it
took their push, but that has to be the best choice I ever made in my
computing life, and I've never regretted it.