pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Where is database for headers? Running into problems...

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Where is database for headers? Running into problems...
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 03:56:11 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff posted on Tue, 22 Jun 2010 18:59:35 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 06/22/2010 05:31 PM, Duncan wrote:
>> Well, on *nix pan's data is in ~/.pan2/ by default.  (~ refers to the
>> user's homedir.)
>
> I'm going to be away from home for about three weeks, but don't want to
> get that far behind on LuseNet.  I take it that if I transfer ~/.pan2 to
> my laptop, I'll have everything I need?  (And back again, when I get
> home, of course.)

You should, yes.  The config is there.  The message cache is there.  And
all the group subscription and header threading and tracking is there.
That's about it. =:^)

Well, unless you've set the PAN_HOME environmental var to point pan
somewhere other than ~/.pan2... or symlinked the cache into its own
partition, or edited the paths to put some stuff elsewhere... all of which
I do (well, AFAIK, the only paths I edited are in servers.xml, to rename
the newsrc files to something less generic -- like newsrc.gmane for our
favorite list2news host! =:^)

Once you're setup on both, simply syncing the newsrc file may be all you
need to do, particularly if you switch between them frequently, as that
tracks subscriptions, read articles, etc.  But for a period of weeks,
you'll probably want to sync the headers back, too, and possibly the
cached articles, depending on your operating style.  But the article cache
is only IIRC 10 MB by default, anyway, so it's not going to cache /that/
much, particularly if you do binaries.  (I have my binary instance set to
12 gigs, tho in all honesty I've not used it in long enough, pan's binary
handling could have broken and I'd have not noticed.  But I keep it
around.  And my text instance is set to 5 gigs, tho I'm only using a
fraction of that with several years of posts -- I have the servers on it
set to no-expire, so the only way I lose stuff is if, for instance, the
still not entirely stable Radeon r600 series hd4650 card OpenGL and KMS
drivers crash the system at the wrong time, taking out open files,
possibly including pan files.)