pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Questions about the next release

From: Wayne E . Nail
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Questions about the next release
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:30:04 +0000 (UTC)

Charles Kerr <address@hidden> writes:

> As has already been documented, I don't use Pan much anymore and don't
> feel like I'm the best person to "steer" the project.  But, that said
> -- However, I've finally gotten write access again to rebelbase.com
> (to be specific, my account always had it, but I'd lost my account
> info) and now update pages, upload tarballs, etc.
>
> There have been a lot of changes since 0.133 back in *cough* August
> 2008.  Is it time for a new release to get these changes into wider
> circulation?
>
> Also, Is there any advantage to using gnome's repository compared to
> github, or github compared to gnome's repo?

I say it is time for a new release, incorporating K.Haley's changes from his
github. As for which branch(es), I am not qualified to say.

The primary reason for a new release, in my opinion, is to alert distros from
Fedora, Ubuntu, Slackware, etc. that there is one. This would allow them to
update the Pan version in their repositories, whereas the more piecemeal commits
since August 2008 probably don't.

I have no preference between the gnome repo or github; whatever is preferred by
the [_ de facto | _ official | _ most senior | _ perpetual] dev is fine with me.

It is very good to see Pan getting some attention again these past few months,
after such a long time in the wilderness ;-)