pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Questions about the next release

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Questions about the next release
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 20:40:50 +0200

Hi!

Charles Kerr, Thu, 5 Aug 2010 23:25:49 -0500:

> As has already been documented, I don't use Pan much anymore and don't
> feel like I'm the best person to "steer" the project.  But, that said
> -- However, I've finally gotten write access again to rebelbase.com
> (to be specific, my account always had it, but I'd lost my account
> info) and now update pages, upload tarballs, etc.

Great! So the website stays at rebelbase.com, then? As I wrote, there is
some content in need of updating or polishing, so I'm certainly willing to
help in that regard, if desired.

> There have been a lot of changes since 0.133 back in *cough* August
> 2008.  Is it time for a new release to get these changes into wider
> circulation?

I think it definitely is. ;-)

> Also, Is there any advantage to using gnome's repository compared to
> github, or github compared to gnome's repo?

I think it'd be good to stick with the GNOME repository, for quite a few
reasons. Pan already uses GNOME Bugzilla, the GNOME repository is the
well-known established place where to look for code. Many other projects
seek to gain access there, so why leave for github where pan repository is
just one of the zillions of personal ones?

Also remember translators, the GNOME Translation Project members can hardly
work on Pan localization in a swift, unobstructed way when they need to use
an external repository outside the GNOME infrastructure.

My 20 hellers,
Petr Kovar