pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Articles Pan Can't Read

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Articles Pan Can't Read
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 06:32:58 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Wed, 10 Aug 2011 05:38:28 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 22:20:56 -0700, Mark S Bilk wrote:
>
>> Knode can read all of them.  Pan can read 1 and 2, but originally could
>> only see the headers of 3, 4, and 5.  It said each of those contained
>> over 800 lines.
>
> I haven't got a 'normal' USENET server in my servers list, but something
> I've found is that turning line wrap on/off or turning quoting on/off
> will change the visibility of a message.  You might try that and see if
> that changes the behaviour.

I'm guessing you (Mark) somehow tickled pan's binary detection algorithm
with the subject name (fwiw, the yenc format isn't well specified in that
regard, and news clients implementing it end up with a choice of either
doing it by the spec and having occasional false-matches, or not, and
potentially not recognizing yenc posts that are), and it considers those
posts additional segments of one or both of the posts you still see.

When you get a post that pan either won't download or simply refuses to
display the normal way, context-click on it in the header list, and
choose "read article".  That has always forced the download (if
necessary) and displayed the message for me, here.