pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Latest Pan and Tin's ~/.newsrc

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Latest Pan and Tin's ~/.newsrc
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 03:04:11 +0000 (UTC)

Ant posted on Thu, 24 Nov 2011 18:18:10 -0800 as excerpted:

> How do I have Pan use my Tin's ~/.newsrc? I cannot seem to find the
> settings. I want both programs to share the same configurations.

Once you setup a news server in pan, you can edit the servers.xml file
and point the newsrc entry for that server anywhere you want.

Here, I simply rename the files to reflect the news server name (so for
example, newsrc.gmane, for the gmane.org list2news server I use to get my
mailing lists including this one as newsgroups), but you can edit the
whole path and point it where you want, if necessary.

So just point it at ~/.newsrc, and assuming you have only the one server,
you should be fine.  (Unfortunately, the newsrc format appears to be
single-server only, so pan uses multiple files for multiple servers.
Don't try to point more than one server at the same file or you WILL have
issues! =8^0  An exception would be servers such as the European and USian
servers that some NSPs run, that coordinate their available groups and
article sequence numbering, in which case using the same newsrc for all
article-sequence-number coordinated servers should be just fine.)