pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Latest Pan and Tin's ~/.newsrc

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Latest Pan and Tin's ~/.newsrc
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 14:58:01 +0000 (UTC)

Phillip Pi posted on Fri, 25 Nov 2011 06:24:15 -0800 as excerpted:

> Would the newer version fix the problem with ~/.newsrc though?

I don't know for sure, as I don't remember that bug being reported.  But
I DO know that a decent number of runtime bugs were fixed between 0.133
and 0.135, with some other relatively minor tweaks and compile-against-
newer-libs type bugfixes, as well.  No huge or even medium sized changes
tho -- most of the changes were actually accumulated patches being
carried by the various distributions, so the biggest changes between
0.133 and 0.135 were from the perspective of the distro maintainers,
since they could drop most or all of the minor patches they had built up
since 0.133.

Meanwhile, did you check newsrc permissions, and you weren't running tin
at the time either, right?

It may be that there are (or at least were, back with 0.133) minor
incompatibilities between the way pan interprets the newsrc and the way
tin does, and someone that actually uses a second non-pan client (such as
tin) that does newsrcs needs to observe the differences as he runs one
and then the other, and file an approproriate bug.  However, as I said,
0.133 was the last Charles release and 0.134 was really transitional,
catching up with the accumulation, so khaley (and pkovar, see previous
threads for an explanation of how that works, but basically khaley does
the code integration and pkovar the paperwork, pan site updates, etc)
will reasonably be more comfortable with code that's more his, after
0.134, than with what went before.  So bugs that aren't confirmed in
0.134 or newer are more likely to sit and wait for confirmation from
something newer, before they get worked on, than those reported or
confirmed against later versions as well.