pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Latest Pan and Tin's ~/.newsrc

From: Phillip Pi
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Latest Pan and Tin's ~/.newsrc
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 06:24:15 -0800

> >> Once you setup a news server in pan, you can edit the servers.xml file
> >> and point the newsrc entry for that server anywhere you want.
> >>
> >> Here, I simply rename the files to reflect the news server name (so for
> >> example, newsrc.gmane, for the gmane.org list2news server I use to get
> >> my mailing lists including this one as newsgroups), but you can edit
> >> the whole path and point it where you want, if necessary.
> >>
> >> So just point it at ~/.newsrc, and assuming you have only the one
> >> server, you should be fine.  (Unfortunately, the newsrc format appears
> >> to be single-server only, so pan uses multiple files for multiple
> >> servers. Don't try to point more than one server at the same file or
> >> you WILL have issues! =8^0  An exception would be servers such as the
> >> European and USian servers that some NSPs run, that coordinate their
> >> available groups and article sequence numbering, in which case using
> >> the same newsrc for all article-sequence-number coordinated servers
> >> should be just fine.)
> >
> > Sweet! Wait, why are our passwords visible in texts in there?
> > Shouldn't it be encrypted? :(
> >
> > Anyways, I edited this XML to use ~/.newsrc that Tin uses with read
> > groups marked and stuff. However, Pan still downloaded old headers even
> > though I told only new headers? I didn't have this problem in old
> > v0.14.2.91. I am currently using Pan v0.133 from a brand new Debian's
> > stable installation (it doesn't have the old Pan version to go back to).
> > :(
>
> You had pan shut down when you edited servers.xml, right?

Yep, I checked my servers.xml and it was saved correctly.

> As for passwords, mainstream pan doesn't have encryption support anyway,
> so they're plain-text over the wire in any case, so there's little reason
> to encrypt or even obfuscate them in the config, either.

Oh. :(

> As for pan versions, I'd not exactly call 0.133 "latest" by /any/
> stretch.  That's still the last version Charles put out several years
> ago, and there have been quite some bug fixes and updates, since.  The
> latest official version is 0.135, from this summer, and many users here
> choose to build from sources, either from khaley's repo (which is
> basically upstream for the official version, now), or from hmueller's
> judgefudge repo (he's the most active dev at present and that's where all
> the nice new experimental features including binary uploading, ssl
> support, and optional score-based automated actions (say automated delete
> on ignored, mark-read on <0, download on watched), have been or are being
> developed.
>
> And AFAIK, 0.14.x may still build, if your gcc, glib and gtk+ are old
> enough, at least.  But it's what, about a half-decade old now, ancient in
> computer terms, and I know the newer C++ version has had a number of
> patches to build against newer system libs and with newer gcc, so it's
> likely you'd need some patching to get the old C version to build on a
> reasonably modern system, as well.  But it should be possible, at least
> as long as gtk2 stays around.  When everything switches to gtk3 and the
> distros start dumping gtk2, then the old C version will be about as
> useful as old pan-0.11, the gnome-1 version, is now, but until then, it
> should still build, given some patience and a few patches, if you're
> motivated enough.

Hmm. Yeah, but the one I have was from Debian's stable so... Would the
newer version fix the problem with ~/.newsrc though?
--
Quote of the Week: "It's kind of an insane case ... 6,000 ants dressed
up as rice and robbed a Chinese restaurant." --Steven Wright
| |o   o| |                 E-mail: address@hidden/address@hidden
   \ _ /              If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
    ( )                                              and AQFL URL/link.