pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Win32 build of 0.138 up

From: Travis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Win32 build of 0.138 up
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:35:38 -0700

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Davies
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 1:33 PM
To: address@hidden

On 18 June 2012 21:26, Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
Steve Davies posted on Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:39:07 +0100 as excerpted:

I am closing in on part of the issue. It MIGHT be that it does not like using a non-standard port number in servers.xml. My news server provides TLS secured NNTP on port 443 for convenience. If I enable that, I can be
sure it will start crashing on me next time I restart.

There was a thread with a similar problem, but on Linux (Mint 13 Maya,
went back to Debian Sid/Unstable with 0.137-1 and it worked).  See the
"New 0.138 version on Pan ppa" thread from Friday/Saturday (Sat, 16 Jun
2012 00:28:24 +0000 (UTC)), by Bob.

There it seemed to be some sort of issue between pan and gnutls and
disabling tls but still trying to use the tls port and crashing when it
got an encrypted channel when it was either expecting plain-text
(disabled ssl/tls) or trying to enable tls but crashing due to version
mis-match.

The details weren't fully worked out, but for now he seems to be fine
using either 0.137 with ssl, or 0.138 with gnutls/ssl disabled at build-
time and an appropriate plain-text port chosen.

So it seems pan still has some instability with ssl/tls.  I'd guess
(warning non-coder trying to use coder language!) that pan needs an
assert or some such, to either popup a warning or at least fail
gracefully if some condition it's expecting isn't matched, that without,
it's simply crashing.

As I said in that thread, pan's ssl/tls support is still experimental
enough and changing enough between versions that people who don't
actually need it and prefer "just working" to being testers, probably
want to continue to run with an unencrypted-only connection configured.

But obviously, being the de-facto Windows build guy, you'll need to work
thru the problem eventually, and where's the fun in playing it safe,
anyway. =:^)

For a non-coder, you did okay Duncan :)  Now I have GNU/TLS support in
Windows, I have no intention of disabling it. "stunnel" works great,
but is just a pain.

I think it may be some thread-locks that are needed, or perhaps some
simple reference counting so that you do not destroy a socket while it
is still being used by another thread. This is always a horrible issue
in multi-threaded apps.

In the meantime, I am attaching a patch which improves things a lot for me...

Hope it helps others too.

Cheers,
Steve

How do we not techie/coder types use this patch?
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington