pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] SSL not supported?

From: Arnd
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] SSL not supported?
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:51:04 +0000 (UTC)

Mike Brown <address@hidden> [Thu,
21 Jun 2012 04:19:09 -0500]

> Fedora is yum based for updates.  But, it isn't yum that creates the
> file for pkg-config to find.  That is the responsibility of those who
> create the RPMs.  It seems to me that a "package".pc file is not a
> requirement.  As such, pkg-config should not be used to find installed
> files.

pkg-config is being used in basically all configure scripts since many
years, personally never had a problem with .pc files on my Slackware
installations. It really boils down to what you've already said: the
Fedora package maintainer didn't do his job.

> But, I'll keep in mind that SSL might not work.

I've been using pan over stunnel (the solution Duncan pointed out) for
many years without a single problem. If you've got trouble with SSL,
install stunnel and use a config file like this (at /etc/stunnel/
stunnel.conf ):

   [nntp]
   client = yes
   accept = 119
   connect = your.news.provider:443

... and configure pan to use "localhost" as server. Start stunnel and it
should work right away.