pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Newbie compiling Pan v0.133 in Debian stable...

From: Ant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Newbie compiling Pan v0.133 in Debian stable...
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 12:22:47 -0700

> >  libgtk2.0-dev : Depends: libpango1.0-dev (>= 1.20) but it is not going
> > to be installed
> >                  Depends: libcairo2-dev (>= 1.6.4-6.1) but it is not
> > going to be installed E: Broken packages
> >
> Well, I have to admit that (1) I've never seen an error message like that
> from apt-get and (2) if I did, I'd find it very frustrating, for the
> obvious reason that it is giving you no clue as to WHY, for example,
> libcairo2-dev "is not going to be installed". So I would probably follow
> that up with something like:
> # apt-get install libcairo2-dev
> just to see if it would lead to an actual explanation (or useful
> information). I find it very odd that Debian won't let you install
> libgtk2.0-dev since what is in it was obviously needed to build a very
> large number of the applications that came with the distribution.

# apt-get install libcairo2-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 libcairo2-dev : Depends: libcairo2 (= 1.8.10-6) but 1.10.2-7~bpo60+1 is
to be installed
                 Depends: libpixman-1-dev (>= 0.12.0) but it is not
going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Yeah, it's frustrating!

> Sorry I couldn't help you all the way to the make step. I guess my
> suggestion at this point would be to head over to forums.debian.net and
> ask the obvious question:
> "What does it take to install libgtk2.0-dev in stable"?
> Hopefully someone there will be able to sort this out. I'm an Ubuntu
> user, but I've gotten lots of help from their forums so I figure it will
> be similar with Debian.

Thanks. Too bad I Ubuntu and Debian can't share the same exact packages.
:(
--
Quote of the Week: "When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had
been eaten by ants and of which nothing remained except the shell.