pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [gentooers] New pan/ssl problem from gnutls upgrade

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [gentooers] New pan/ssl problem from gnutls upgrade
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 20:27:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 15:22:39 -0700, walt wrote:

> The 'testing/unstable' version of gentoo upgraded gnutls today
> (finally!) but then I discovered pan could not open a successful
> encrypted session with any of my news servers :(

I fixed my everyday machine by reverting back to gnutls-2.12.20 and
recompiling all the broken packages, but I will continue to work on
this using virtual gentoo machines.  I've already spent the better
part of two days on this problem and I need to get back to normal
while I catch up a bit.

Duncan, your suggestions were excellent as always, and I think I
tried them all.  But no joy :(

Heinrich, if you're wondering how I got pan working with an old
version of gnutls -- I cheated :)  I edited configure.in so it
will accept 2.12.20 and now it works perfectly again, as it did
from the beginning.  I have no idea why gnutls-3.1.3 doesn't
work with pan.

I used gnutls-cli-debug on news.gmane.org:563 and the output
from each version of gnutls was virtually the same, so the
problem seems to lie elsewhere in my operating system.