pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] What tells Pan where to save??

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] What tells Pan where to save??
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:41:13 +1100

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 02:45:45PM -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/26/2012 02:22 PM, Duncan wrote:
> >JZ has the right idea, but IIRC the wrong file.  The paths for the newsrc
> >files are found in servers.xml, not preferences.xml.
>
> I think that you're going to need to edit both, then.  Preferences.xml
> tells Pan where to save things you've downloaded, so it you're using Pan
> to collect binaries, you're going to need it set up correctly.

I wonder why Pan records fixed paths instead of relative to the user's
home directory?

I mean, it's fine to support fixed paths if the user sets one, but by
default it would be better to have locations of the form:

~/where/to/download/files

or

$HOME/where/to/download/files

instead of

/home/my-name-is-slim-shady/where/to/download/files

Being able to copy your config and use it with another account is a good
thing.

--
Steven