pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] What tells Pan where to save??

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] What tells Pan where to save??
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 23:18:13 +0000 (UTC)

Ima Afrotrap posted on Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:39:15 -0600 as excerpted:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:45:34 +0000 (UTC)
> Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Heinrich Müller posted on Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:07:32 +0100 as excerpted:

>> > Yes, I think so, but atm I don't code for pan, I've got other work to
>> > do. I'm planning to implement pan in java btw. But only after I've
>> > fixed some bugs that are in the java version. I think I'll do that in
>> > the next 2-3 weeks.
>>
>> Ugh.  I hope I missed the sarcasm tags and that's a joke.  Or at least
>> that it'll be gcj buildable and not just runnable in a JVM.
>>
>> I don't have java VM on my systems ATM as I seldom need it and in
>> general it's more problems than it's worth.  The build-once, run
>> anywhere thing just doesn't fit in a freedomwhere world, where it's
>> simply a poor proprietary workaround to the /normal/ freedomware-world
>> portability case of [freely viewable/modifiable/buildable sources].

>   +1

Reading my reply over again, it does seem a bit more negative than I
guess I actually am, at least toward the gcj angle.  While all I wrote
(and what Rialto wrote as well) still goes as far as the JVM, if indeed
it's buildable with gcj, I'm neutral in general and in fact personally
very cautiously and preliminarily positive to the idea, since that would
give me an excuse to get some gcj experience, something I don't have at
all ATM, but which I believe would be a good thing to have.  OTOH, I do
think it likely that fewer distros will carry it then, but I could be
wrong.

Meanwhile, as a dev you of course make your own choices and you remain
free to do pan in java if you wish.  However, while pan survived Charles
leaving and came back, I don't believe it'd survive a rewrite to require
a JVM, except perhaps with the (figuratively) 3-5 users who may be
interested and actually maintain it in that form.  If it's an experiment
and the C++ version is intended to continue, fine, I'm all for such
experiments!  If it's targeted at GCJ, I'm concerned, but will wait and
see.  If you intend to go JVM only and KHaley or others don't continue
the C++ version, I really don't expect pan to survive this one.  What we
once knew as pan will be dead, and it'll take many of the remaining users
and most distro distribution with it.  Long live pan!