pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] What tells Pan where to save??

From: Rob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] What tells Pan where to save??
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 20:40:01 -0500

On 11/27/2012 04:07 PM, Rhialto wrote:
> In fact, to build java, you need a working java. The Sun sources have
> (apparently deliberately) been made extra difficult to bootstrap.
> Entirely un-free.

OpenJDK is GPL, doesn't require binary Java to build, and has been the
reference implementation of Java for at least a year now. From the horse's
mouth:

https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/moving_to_openjdk_as_the

Its build requirements do include gcj, but that's part of GCC, which you
presumably have up and running. I've heard of people bootstrapping it using
JamVM, but gcj is what Debian has been using since 2008:

http://www.quantenblog.net/free-software/openjdk-debian

I'm not a huge fan of Java -- whatever its proponents may claim, non-trivial
Java software on real-world systems tends to use more resources than C-based
equivalents or even competent Python or Perl code, which is why even Google
uses native code for some of their Android apps -- but the situation is far
better than it once was.

Rob