pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Fetching headers for the "sent" and "drafts" folders?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Fetching headers for the "sent" and "drafts" folders?
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 22:46:58 +0000 (UTC)

Heinrich Müller posted on Thu, 03 Jan 2013 16:31:41 +0100 as excerpted:

> Am 03.01.2013 06:24, schrieb Duncan:
>> That said, both of the local "groups" should really be special-cased to
>> disable that feature, just as pan doesn't show the fetch headers menu
>> items or buttons when in those "groups". I guess Heinrich simply
>> overlooked the empty-"group" popup when he did the special-casing.
> Done and committed.

I haven't updated yet, so don't know if you've got this yet or not, but
while we're on the topic of special-casing...

What about special-casing sent-messages so it doesn't think all messages
are unread?

(There's already something strange going on with sent.  If I enter the
group and read only ONE message, then click out to a different group and
back in or restart pan, ALL messages are read.  But I have to read one
message.  Simply entering the group doesn't do it, and all new sent
messages are unread until I read ONE.)

And drafts should IMO be the reverse of that, always unread.  Messages in
sent should always appear read, since they'll primarily be read in the
groups as they aleays have been, and messages in drafts should always
appear unread, as a reminder that there are still messages in drafts.

Also:  Expiry for sent?  Does it expire using the policy of the server
the message was sent to, or ???.

And cache.  Is sent subject to cache management (I'd guess/hope it is)?
If so, with binary posting, it may be time to re-think the default 10 MB
cache size.

I'll throw out this idea for discussion but I'm not sure it's ideal:
Maybe, when there's no preferences.xml and/or no cache size entry in it,
either when pan is first opened, along with popping up a dialog offering
to set up a first server (does pan do that, I've obviously had a config
for so long I don't actually know?), it has a cache-size dialog something
like this:

Cache size:

The largest messages I'll regularly download/post and wish pan to cache
for me are:

(Radiobuttons)

0       Text:                   10 MB

O       Still images, MP3s:     100 MB

O       CD ISOs:                1 GB

O       DVD ISOs:               10 GB

O       BluRay ISOs:            50 GB

O       I'll set my own cache size:  [text-box/spinner]

That layout would make a nice tab or tab-section in prefs, too.  Once the
GUI is coded up for it, it could be used for both.  Or maybe just put it
in prefs, but with the expanded layout so as to bring more focus to it.