pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.136 change in selected message behaviour

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.136 change in selected message behaviour
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:43:29 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 07:01:26 +0000 as excerpted:

> I also cloned the git source (which did build, just without gtkspell for
> some reason) and confirmed that behaviour is the same in that build as
> well (selection stays when going threaded->unthreaded, but not from
> unthreaded->threaded).
>
> My guess is it's doing this because the selected thread is collapsed
> when switching back to the threaded view.  IMHO, the behaviour should be
> (and used to be) that all threads except the one the selected message
> was in are collapsed.

Hmm... that last described behavior, collapsing all threads except the
selected, with the selected post remaining selected thru an unthreading/
rethreading goggle, is /exactly/ the behavior I see here.

Maybe it's a gtk issue, not a pan issue?  Did you build against gtk2 or
gtk3.  I'm building against gtk2.  (First, since I'm on gentoo and
there's a live ebuild available, I start with it, altho I customize it a
bit, and it hard-codes the gtk2 dep.  Second, I don't have gnome or
anything else gtk3 using installed, so no gtk3 either, and firefox and
claws-mail are still gtk2 also, so building against gtk2 saves having to
install gtk3 just for pan.)

Same thing with glib.

FWIW, gtk+-2.24.14 and glib-2.34.3 are the exact versions I have
installed here.

There's another variant you can test as well.  Until recently I had pan's
expand all threads option (prefs, behavior tab, last option under groups)
checked.  I decided to try with it unchecked for awhile, and based on
your comments, I'm assuming it's unchecked for you as well, or all
threads would be expanded, not just the selected.

So at least for testing, you could try checking that option, and see if
pan keeps the selected message thru a rethread then, thus narrowing down
the problem space slightly.  If that works, you can at least choose
between keeping selected but all threads expanded, and losing it, but
having threads collapsed by default.