pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Latest compressed headers fix

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Latest compressed headers fix
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 04:43:58 +0000 (UTC)

Chris Gentle posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:28:32 -0600 as excerpted:

> I took a peek with ngrep and also with wireshark but it's still not
> obvious whether compression is actually being used.  My connection to
> supernews is SSL enabled so all I see is nntps traffic.  That's why some
> visual feedback would be helpful.  I believe that it IS using
> compression but I can't prove it.

(Please kill the html, at least for pan's list.)

I had wondered about that.

Could you either switch ssl off temporarily as a test, or if your groups
are too sensitive or your ISP too nasty for that, temporarily setup a new
pan instance (either move the default dir out of the way or set and
export PAN_HOME pointing elsewhere, say from a terminal window, before
starting pan, so it uses a different data dir) for testing, subscribe to
some random "innocent" groups, and run without ssl while testing header
download to them?