pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Latest compressed headers fix

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Latest compressed headers fix
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 21:00:20 -0800

On 01/23/2013 07:28 PM, Chris Gentle wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM, walt <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
> Here's my chance to put in a plug for my favorite network utility:
> good old ngrep.  You can do amazing stuff with ngrep if you want,
> but I normally just use it as an instant cli packet sniffer by
> typing 'ngrep' (as root) and then watch the packets whiz by on my
> terminal.
>

> I took a peek with ngrep and also with wireshark but it's still not
> obvious whether compression is actually being used.  My connection to
> supernews is SSL enabled so all I see is nntps traffic.  That's why
> some visual feedback would be helpful.  I believe that it IS using
> compression but I can't prove it.

Ah, I omitted that I disable any encryption *before* using ngrep to
view my server's reply.  Any form of encryption will render any
network traffic completely un-parsable by ngrep or any other packet-
sniffer.

Any completely unencrypted/uncompressed nntp traffic should be visible
with ngrep as ordinary human-readable text.

Try ngrep while surfing your usual non-ssl websites with any browser
and you will see the human-readable text whiz by on your terminal.