pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Making Pan behave like OE/Windows Mail

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Making Pan behave like OE/Windows Mail
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:43:03 +0000 (UTC)

David WE Roberts posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:02:06 +0000 as excerpted:

> Yep - just tested a bit further.
> For each numeric score, when sorted on score, the threads are sorted in
> date order oldest first.
>
> So you get score 9999 - oldest to youngest Followed by score 100 -
> oldest to youngest Followed by score 0 - oldest to youngest.
> etc.
>
> So not an unstable sort but a sort policy which I don't fully
> understand.

What happens if you click the score column again, to reverse the order?

I said it before.  It's using primary and secondary sort keys, the
secondary one being date as that was the last sort before score.  But
there's just one order, so if you have scores sorted one way, the
secondary key (date in this case) will be sorted the same way.

You have score high at the top, which matches oldest date at the top as
the secondary key.  Reverse the sort and you should have score low at the
top, with youngest date within that score first.

What is there left to not fully understand?

All that said, one /could/ argue that the earliest date should be the
smallest, and corresponding to the smallest score.  However, IMO that's
simply arbitrary.  It's ALSO possible that it's determined by the widget
library's list sort function, *NOT* pan, which would make changing it in
pan difficult as it's an upstream thing, but I don't know that.