pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] not for me, sorry to say [ Re: Mutex problem is fixed :

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] not for me, sorry to say [ Re: Mutex problem is fixed :) ]
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 04:36:35 +0000 (UTC)

SciFi posted on Sat, 02 Feb 2013 20:37:09 +0000 as excerpted:

>  I'm quite sure my list-posts and my e-mails are both seemingly being
>  lost/misplaced/whatever now as this precise situation seems to be a
>  prime proof of it [e.g. no one responding to my write-up yet].

It's possible some are, but that one (the "longish" one) made it to gmane
anyway, where I read it.  I just didn't see anything to really reply
to... altho when I read it I was tired enough I was beginning to have
trouble keeping dream and reality straight, so it's quite possible I
missed something I was supposed to reply to...

But at least in that state, the post actually read a bit like one of my
"background and status report" type posts, that don't strictly stay on
topic but (I like to think, anyway) bring a bit of humanity onto the
list, so people know a bit more about me than the fact that I've run pan
for years and hang out here to try to answer questions.

As such, I found it interesting, at least as interesting as I do
discussion of anything proprietary, tho you're interested in getting off
it and I'm interested in that, but I didn't see anything that provoked a
reply, so I left it and moved on to something else.

(FWIW, and this is some of that backgrounding... I've been working a lot
of hours lately, which I needed, but I actually had two days off in a row
and didn't get called in for it earlier this week, and used the time to
do some final research on and finally buy... a pair of 42-inch 1080p LED-
backlit TVs, to use as computer monitors... and then install them,
replacing the pair of 21-inch LED monitors at the same resolution that I
was running before.  I've had my eye on 'em for 2-3 years now, but simply
couldn't afford it until now.  But last month I paid off the new computer
barebones I bought on credit last summer when my old mobo started
exploding capacitors on me, with some of that money I'm actually making
now, which I'd promised myself I was going to do before I looked at
anything else, and at $400 each, I figured even if I'm paying interest on
them for a few months, they're still not a bad buy... especially when
I've been wanting them for 2-3 years now!

So I had just finished that, then worked a 10 hour day on about two hours
of sleep as I'd been working on the installation, and finally gotten back
on the computer after work, with the new monitors.  Checking the lists on
gmane was one of the first things I did, and there was your post, but as
I said, I was pretty tired by that point, and wanting to play with my new
toy as well, so maybe I did miss something in there I was supposed to
reply to...  But to me it read a bit like these couple paragraphs,
interesting enough to read, but not really something to reply to...

Meanwhile, two 42-inch monitors (well, TVs, but the only thing hooked up
is the computer, I've not had a "TV" as such since some years before the
death of analog and I'm not sure I want to change that), mounted
"stacked" on the wall at the foot of my bed!  Dual 42-inch was the
biggest I could reasonably fit, and even that took some doing, but I
literally have a WALL of monitor, now, and it has certainly been worth
the wait and anticipation! =:^)

As for the thread subject...  I've not had time to rebuild pan the last
few days and I know there's at least the one connect-failure-segfault fix
waiting, possibly more, but at least as of 6ffed20, I had to post-git-
fetch-apply-the-static-mutex-patch (all scripted here as part of the
ebuild, I just drop the patch in a particular dir and it's applied
automatically) to get pan to build.  Another 10 hour day today and I'm
back at work even earlier tomorrow, but I'm scheduled off Tuesday, so
that's likely when I'll actually update and try a build without the
patch, but now I know to try it, anyway.

Meanwhile, I'm almost certain it was that segfault triggering here when
astraweb had let me set an initial password that wouldn't work for their
news authentication, so I have that fix to test here too... when I do get
the chance...