pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Any hope to get a fix for uutomake 1.13.x support ?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Any hope to get a fix for uutomake 1.13.x support ?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:24:33 +0000 (UTC)

fredbezies posted on Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:10:34 +0100 as excerpted:

>>> configure.in:40: error: required file './missing' not found
>>> configure.in:40:   'automake --add-missing' can install 'missing'
>>> Makefile.am: error: required file './INSTALL' not found Makefile.am:
>>> 'automake --add-missing' can install 'INSTALL'
>>
>>> pan/data-impl/Makefile.am: error: required file './depcomp' not found
>>> pan/data-impl/Makefile.am:   'automake --add-missing' can install
>>> 'depcomp'
>>
>> These are errors.  Did you try running the suggested command?
>
> It is the result of these commands.

I think I didn't convey the idea I intended to.  What I /meant/ was, did
you run the command suggested by the error (automake --add-missing), not,
did you run my first suggested commands.

The files in question ship with automake and the other tools, and are
part of the autotools system set.  They don't always ship with the
sources, because they are standard components that would then be in every
single autotools enabled package, which is a waste.  Instead, automake
--add-missing can be used to copy the necessary but missing files from
the system location into the sources, and/or create a "missing" file that
lists the files that automake needs to copy over, so an autoreconf can be
performed.

FWIW, back when I was on a binary-based distro, for quite some time I
could only build pan from a tarball-release.  I tried to build from the
live sources (then using cvs, IIRC, this was about a decade ago...), but
didn't have a clue about all these extra steps involved.  However, once
you get it figured out and working, you can use the same steps pretty
much every time, and it's routine again.  What's nice is that once you
figure it out for one package, it's MUCH easier for the next, as well.
But it /is/ more involved than simply building from a tarball, and it
/does/ take a bit of persistence (and often some help) to get "over that
hump."

You're at the hump, for sure, but not over it yet.

There's probably another step in my script that I have to find and
convert from the scripted form (lots of variables and functions) to a
command-line form that you can use.  But I have to be in the right mood
to correctly parse the scripts in my head and figure out what's going on,
and while I was in that mood some hours ago, now I'm too tired, and
should be sleeping, but I have less than an hour now before I have to
getup and go to work and I haven't slept, so I might get a half hour nap
or just stay up...