pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] new post counts not adding up

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] new post counts not adding up
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 04:02:30 +0000 (UTC)

memilanuk posted on Sun, 05 May 2013 23:11:08 +0000 as excerpted:

> In my case... it seems as though if I go through a group/list (no
> binaries here, as mentioned, mainly just using the mail2news gateway @
> gmane.org) and view/read all the visible threads/posts, sometimes the
> group pane will still show some number of unread posts.  Generally it
> appears that if I go to the menu options for View -> Header Pane and
> toggle 'Show matching articles sub-threads' instead of my usual 'Show
> matching articles threads', it'll suddenly display the 'missing' posts.
>
> I guess thats my primary frustration here - how do I get Pan to show the
> unread posts, in the context of the thread they belong to, regardless of
> whether they are in a thread or a sub-thread.  Having to toggle it one
> way and back the other seems pretty... unusual, which is why I was
> wondering if there was some setting/config that I'm missing out on.

So I answered /a/ question, but the /wrong/ question. =:^(  Well, I guess
someone should understand pan better after that anyway, not the least me,
since an old observation holds that the best way to learn something is to
try to teach it, and I constantly find the truth to that. =:^)

In your case, I can't quite say.  What I can say is that I'd be unlikely
to see a bug or be particularly familiar with bug or non-bug behavior,
since my usage is quite different.  Like you, I use pan mostly on gmane,
but unlike you, my default view mode is match only unread messages, show
matching articles (only).  So all I normally see is the new/unread
messages, and I've not noticed a problem there.

In most cases I can remember the context.  But if I need it, I simply
toggle off the match unread only filter, thus seeing all messages read
and unread, and can follow the thread accordingly.  Then I toggle the
filter back, so I'm only seeing unread once again.  To make the toggling
easier I've assigned a hotkey, "r", to toggle match only unread.  Thus,
it's a simple 1-stroke hotkey to toggle back and forth, just as it is to
toggle wrapping (w by default), and some other functions I don't use so
often and have in some cases unmapped the default hotkey accordingly.

It's rare indeed that I have reason to toggle to show matching
(sub)threads mode from show matching articles (only), so if there's bugs
or unusual behavior in the show matching (sub)threads modes, there's very
little chance I'd have seen it myself, and IDR any other threads on the
subject in anything like recent times, either.

So maybe you've found a bug, or maybe it's simply unexpected behavior.  I
don't know.  But at least from here, I don't see enough detail in your
description to be comfortable trying to duplicate it in a mode I'm not
familiar with, so either someone else who routinely uses those modes will
need to confirm/explain, or the description will need to be tightened up
enough to be able to duplicate it.  Since we're both (along with others
here) doing gmane, if you can give a specific group/list and thread that
it's happening to, maybe...  But it sounds like the behavior may not be
positively duplicable for you, either, which would complicate things
dramatically. =:^(