pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] I goofed, royally

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] I goofed, royally
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 11:39:32 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth posted on Sun, 01 Sep 2013 16:09:29 +0000 as excerpted:

> On http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/filters_ex1.html there is a
> suggestion which I thought I understood, and tried to follow;
> meaning to eliminate posts from googlegroups, I got into my News folder,
> and added a subfolder containing
>
> [*]
> Score:: =-9999
>
> What happened was to score *all* posts to -9999. I went back in
> haste, deleted the subfolder, and restarted Pan.
>
> Alas, the mismarked posts are still as before.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Do I need to log out and back in? Reboot?
> Or what??

Restarting pan should be enough, if it was a scorefile problem and you
fixed it.

And the hint at the linked URL looks fine to me.  So if you understood
and followed it you should be fine.

But your usage of the words "folder" and "subfolder" don't make sense at
all to me in the context you used them.  So I'm not sure what exactly you
actually did. =:^(

At first I thought "folder" meant "directory" -- in the filesystem.
However, you state that you got into your News "folder", and added a
"subfolder" containing the given content.

Except that if you meant (filesystem) "directory", then I'm left with the
conclusion that you created FILES with *EXTREMELY* unusual names (like
"[*]", what kind of a filename is that, and filenames with colons in them?
), since FILES are what DIRECTORIES contain.

If that is indeed what you did, then yes, IT WAS INDEED VERY WRONG!  But
that's such a strange interpretation of the instructions on the linked
page, with such VERY STRANGE filenames, if that's what you're making
them, that I find it hard to believe you actually did what you're posting
that you did.

Except then I'm left not knowing what you ACTUALLY did... tho I can
/hope/ it was something close to what the instructions SAID to do, put
that content in a FILE (not subdir/subfolder!).

Meanwhile, what the instructions SAID to do, and what I might have
expected, was that in your News DIRECTORY (call it folder if you want,
tho that has other meanings as well so it can be confusing), in the
**FILE** called "Score", *NOT* in a *SUBDIRECTORY* of News called
"Score" (or anything else), but in a *FILE* by the name of Score, thus,
in the "~/News/Score" *FILE*, *NOT* *SUBDIRECTORY*, you create the
section and score as described.

Also note when you create the entry, there are TWO DIFFERENT entries,
only one of which should work for pan.  Don't use the one with [.] as
it's for xnews, which has a similar but not identical Score-file format.
Use the one with [*].

As for cleaning up, while pan will use, or possibly import from, the
~/News/Score file if it's there in ordered to be compatible with slrn,
pan's native scorefile location is in the pan config directory, so by
default ~/.pan2/Score .  If you put it in ~/News/Score (file not
directory), pan may well have imported it from there into its local
~/.pan2/Score (file not directory), so when you cleaned up the original
location, pan still had it imported, and to remove it, you now have to
clean it from ~/.pan2/Score (or whatever other location you have pan
using, via the PAN_HOME variable if it's set in pan's environment) as
well.