pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] I goofed, royally

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] I goofed, royally
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:58:03 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth posted on Mon, 02 Sep 2013 17:34:21 +0000 as excerpted:

> I think I fixed it, thanks to one of your clues.

=:^)

> On re-reading, your mention of ~/.pan2/Score enlightened me. I
> went there, and found two entries at the bottom that lacked the format
> of the rest. (One was essentially the four lines above, and the other
> something I had bungled while trying to get out of my own trap.)
>
> Then I closed and re-opened Pan, and the "-9999"s were all gone.

OK.  So I learned something out of this as well. =:^)

While pan does indeed check ~/News/Score if it finds it, it apparently
simply imports that to its own ~/.pan2/Score file.  I wasn't sure on that
before, but if you wrote to the News location and it ended up in the .pan2
location, that must be it.

Very good to know.  While I don't use the News location myself, it's
likely to be helpful the next time something like this comes up on the
list/group.

> Of course, there is still no Eternal September filter in there to
> block posts from google-groupers. I presume it would put something
> between %BOS and %EOS, each on its own line. But what that something
> should be (or should carefully exclude -- "created by Pan" maybe?) is
> still beyond me. To Redmond with it.

Well, any line starting with % is a comment and isn't parsed as an actual
part of a rule by pan at all.  It simply adds helpful comments (in the
form of the %BOS, %EOS lines) of its own, when you create scores using
pan's GUI.

So you could simply delete all the %whatever lines and the scores would
work exactly the same.  In fact, that's pretty much exactly what I've
done, here.  Except that for expiring score rules, I do tend to keep the
comment line with the creation date.  But in most cases, when I killfile/
ignore or otherwise add a score, I do so permanently, adding it to an
existing [whatever] newsgroup score section, without all the extra
comment lines.

But that's advanced-use direct-scorefile-editing, not for people who
prefer pan's GUI method of score entry.

And you're probably better off simply sticking with the GUI scoring
method, since it seems to work best for you.

And by the GUI method, the folowing should do what you want to do, except
that you can't create scores on message-id directly via GUI, you have to
create one using references, and then go in and edit the scorefile to
change References to Message-ID.

* I've broken it down so each line in the dialog is a separate step, with
-> indicating a different component of the same line:

1) Article menu, add a scoring rule.

2) Group name

-> contains

-> .

(In the dropdown, choose "is" to "contains".  Then simply put a single
dot in the textbox.  This should match all groups since it'd be a strange
group name indeed that didn't contain even a single dot-separater.  Note
that this won't create the exact same [*] entry as suggested in the
twovoyagers link, but it should do what we want it to do anyway.)

3) and