pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Action not working in Pan from git.

From: Christian Dysthe
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Action not working in Pan from git.
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 18:50:26 -0500

Hi,

On May 19, 2014 5:47:24 PM Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:

Christian Dysthe posted on Mon, 19 May 2014 15:30:34 -0500 as excerpted:

> I've successfully built Pan 0.140 from git, but the action "Mark
> articles read scoring at.." doesn't work like it did in 0.139. The
> messages are not being marked read. The only way to get them made read
> is to use the context menu for the group and choose "Mark selected group
> read". In 0.139 (as packaged for Ubuntu 14.04) the action works as
> expected. Is this a bug, or am I missing some new setting or option?

That would be a bug.  However, a couple notes:

1) While I have that action set (for articles scored low, that is, -9998 to -1), I rarely venture beyond the gmane.org list2news service these days [1], and the gmane lists see little enough abuse that I really don't actively use scoring... and probably haven't actually tested that setting since 0.139's release and the bump to 0.140 for the git version. So unfortunately I can't really confirm either way.

I need this setting for a news group with a couple of very active trolls I have scored out for years. :-)

2) Did you build pan against gtk2 or gtk3? While the gtk3 build is said to work in general, building pan against gtk2 is strongly recommended, primarily due to reports of strange bugs that appear to only affect gtk3 builds. I'm not sure whether this is one of them or not, but if you DID build against gtk3, try a build against gtk2 instead, and see if the problem disappears, as other bugs people have reported when they built pan against gtk3 have done when they rebuilt against gtk2.

(As I've said in replies to gtk3-related bug reports previously, at some point we do need to fix the gtk3 bugs and get it working properly, as distros are beginning to deprecate gtk2 now. However, as long as firefox and thunderbird are built against gtk2, gtk2 is extremely unlikely to be actually removed, and while that's on the horizon and firefox is actually said to properly build against gtk3 now, I've seen no indications that either Mozilla upstream or distros are actually switching to a gtk3 firefox yet, so the threat /remains/ just that, a looming threat on the horizon, nothing immediate.)

This is a gtk2 build. I have done a couple of gtk3 builds as well, but they have other little annoyances in addition to the one I reported here.

3) FWIW, I run git-pan, built against gtk2[2] but haven't updated since... May 4... as I've had other things on my plate.
---
[1] I have a block account with astraweb I think it is, but that's a separate pan profile and I very rarely use it, so rarely I don't even remember for sure what NSP I have!

[2] No gtk3 on my system yet, and if possible I intend to keep it that way until I can upgrade everything gtk-based to gtk3 at once. That includes not only pan and firefox, but claws-mail as well, and I have little idea what their gtk3 porting status is, tho someone here mentioned that it had been discussed on their mailing list, so I know they're at least looking at it, but that's /all/ I know.

I'm a big Gnome-Shell fan and user so my system is fully infested with gtk3. However, Pan is kept in gtk2 to prevent unpleasant surprises.