pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Group settings keeping messed up

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Group settings keeping messed up
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 23:05:28 +0200

On Mon 04 Aug 2014 at 16:46:05 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Maybe you're building without actually updating the sources?

Yes that could be a possibility, but maybe the other way around, I
realised after thinking about it. Normally I type "make" to build stuff,
and then (because I'm on a BSD system) I quickly get some error messages
if the Makefile isn't a BSD but a GNU makefile. Then I type gmake and
all is well.

However, sometimes the GNU makefiles look similar enough to BSD
makefiles that you don't get an error message, but they don't do all the
required work either.

So I was suspecting that that might have happened (Pan's Makefiles are
of this kind), so I tried to rebuild properly with gmake clean && gmake.

However I still got the same GIT commit ID in that window, even though
by now I'm pretty sure I have built using the latest sources.

I wondered where that GIT commit ID is actually put in the source; maybe
during autogen.sh or configure or so. So I tried rerunning autogen.sh...
and it failed. (It must have worked previously of course). It complained
about AM_NLS being undefined. I've pasted the full output below, in case
it is immediately obvious to someone what I am missing. One might
suspect it belongs with intltool, but it seems able to find that.

(Sometimes I have autotools which are too new, or at least newer than
the maintainer of the software was expecting. Then I get errors (s)he
doesn't, because the tool has become stricter, or some things have been
renamed. That might be the case too, of course)

murthe:.../other/pan/pan2$ ./autogen.sh
/usr/pkg/bin/gnome-autogen.sh
checking for automake >= 1.11.2...
  testing automake... found 1.14.1
checking for autoreconf >= 2.53...
  testing autoreconf... found 2.69
configure.in:83: warning: AM_NLS is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
aclocal.m4:874: IT_PROG_INTLTOOL is expanded from...
configure.in:83: the top level
checking for glib-gettext >= 2.2.0...
  testing glib-gettextize... found 2.38.2
checking for intltool >= 0.25...
  testing intltoolize... found 0.50.2
checking for pkg-config >= 0.14.0...
  testing pkg-config... found 0.28
Checking for required M4 macros...
Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./autogen.sh' command line.

Processing ./configure.in
configure.in:83: warning: AM_NLS is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
aclocal.m4:874: IT_PROG_INTLTOOL is expanded from...
configure.in:83: the top level
Running glib-gettextize... Ignore non-fatal messages.
Copying file po/Makefile.in.in

Please add the files
  codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
  progtest.m4
from the /usr/pkg/share/aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

Running intltoolize...
Running autoreconf...
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.in: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force --warnings=no-portability
aclocal: warning: autoconf input should be named 'configure.ac', not
'configure.in'
/usr/pkg/share/aclocal/xpk.m4:12: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_XPK
/usr/pkg/share/aclocal/xpk.m4:12:   run info Automake 'Extending aclocal'
/usr/pkg/share/aclocal/xpk.m4:12:   or see
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
configure.in:83: warning: AM_NLS is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
/usr/pkg/share/aclocal/intltool.m4:27: IT_PROG_INTLTOOL is expanded from...
configure.in:83: the top level
autoreconf: configure.in: tracing
configure.in:83: warning: AM_NLS is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
aclocal.m4:874: IT_PROG_INTLTOOL is expanded from...
configure.in:83: the top level
autoreconf: configure.in: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/pkg/bin/autoconf --force --warnings=no-portability
configure.in:83: warning: AM_NLS is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
aclocal.m4:874: IT_PROG_INTLTOOL is expanded from...
configure.in:83: the top level
configure:5425: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_NLS
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/pkg/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
murthe:.../other/pan/pan2$

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'