pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Port 119 blocked - no newsgroup access!

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Port 119 blocked - no newsgroup access!
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 02:34:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 21 May 2015 12:51:17 +0000, Maurice wrote:

> Last week I was in a French (Aix-en-Provence) hotel whose WiFi access
> was blocking Port 119, so could not use Pan to access newsgroups.
>
> Is there an alternative port I could have used, or any other workaround?

Only if the NNTP server you're connecting to uses an alternate port - the
port is defined by the server, not the client.

You might google "firewall piercing" for other possible options (usually
involving access to a system outside the firewall you're behind) - but be
aware that some admins will consider this a TOS violation and may take
further punitive action against you for doing that.  Generally, it's best
to ask permission before trying something like that (though IME, a hotel
network generally isn't going to be concerned about something like that).

Another alternative would be to use a VPN service that provides full
access - you just need the hotel network to actually support that.

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson