pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Losing headers after clicking off of a group?

From: Frisky Weasel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Losing headers after clicking off of a group?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 14:31:35 +0000 (UTC)

thank you Heinz for the reply and sorry for the delayed response -

i checked my preferences, but under Preferences > Behavior > Group

there was only one item checked - "Get new headers when entering group"

Earlier I had said that I think when i click away from a populated group, and
then click back on that group again, and i lose my previously retrieved
headers, that Pan would then retrieve only the few new headers that had been
posted since that last time I had loaded headers for that group. I'm not so
sure that's correct. After most of my headers disappeared, i checked the date
stamp on the remaining few and they were not newly-posted articles.....It seems
that they are just a few of the most recent. So instead it seems the actual
behavior is that when i come back to/revisit a previously loaded group, Pan is
just deleting all but a few of the articles (it's not a set-in-stone
number....sometimes it leaves 2 headers remaining...sometimes 8....no pattern
to it).

I tried a simple test to narrow down the behavior, but not having much luck i'm
afraid:

I right-clicked and did a "subscribe" on the 1st 2 groups in my list, and then
scrolled down and did the same for a linux iso binaries group, so im now
subscribed to these 3 groups:
0
0.akita-inu
alt.binaries.linux.iso

I clicked on each one, and when the header retrieval box popped up, i selected
the same option for each one of them...."get the latest N headers", and i set
the number to ten-thousand (10000). I then clicked execute, Pan successfully
retrieved some headers, and I then moved to the next group and did the same
process.........when finished, my mouse focus was resting on the
"alt.binaries.linux.iso" group, and my "subscribed groups" section now looked
like this:

0 (180)
0.akita-inu (1785)
alt.binaries.linux.iso (131)

i took my mouse and clicked back onto the first group in the list, the "0"
group....as soon as i did, the headers disappeared from the right hand side,
and on the left-hand listing, the "0" group under subscribed groups section
went from looking like this: 0 (180) to this: 0 - it was also bold before, and
it switched from bold to normal

i then clicked once on the next subscribed group in my list. In this case, it
remained bold, but it changed from this: 0.akita-inu (1785) to this 0.akita-inu
(2)

i then clicked on the 3rd subscribed group in my list. In this case it behaved
EXACTLY like i wanted lol....After clicking on it, it continued to remain bold,
and displayed this: alt.binaries.linux.iso (131) .... all of the individual
headers on the right-hand side remained...none were lost...this is exactly the
behavior i had expected for all of my groups/headers from the very start

I then proceeded to just click around randomly in the app, and randomly
returning and clicking on the alt.binaries.linux.iso group to see if it would
lose its headers. It never did.

I completely shut down Pan entirely, and re-launched it. alt.binaries.linux.iso
was still bold and still had all its headers.

I should mention that the above testing was all done on a different machine
than my first post. First box was Ubuntu 18.04 running 0.144. This is a linux
mint 18.3 box running the latest version of Pan from the PPA (ver 0.145). I
wanted to see if the behavior on my Mint machine would match what i saw with my
Ubuntu 18.04 install...it seems that it does.

In any case, just wanted to pass this test along in case anyone wanted to see
if they could replicate the behavior. I'm really not sure if this is a bug, by
design, or if there's just something I'm missing and maybe i have a setting
"off" somewhere.

I didn't have much luck finding other nice / clean GUI usenet clients for
linux, so i really really wanted Pan to work.....and it seems like it does for
most folks....not sure what's happening in my case...P.E.B.K.A.C. maybe ; )

in any case thanks again for trying to help me - much appreciated!

On Friday, July 20, 2018, 12:48:16 AM CDT, Heinz Mezera <address@hidden> wrote:

Check your settings. I have a German UI here and try to translate.

Am Freitag, den 20.07.2018, 04:39 +0000 schrieb Frisky Weasel:
> hi guys - loving Pan so far, but having one small problem. This may

> be by design, but I can't quite make sense of it.
> <...>
> successfully......BUT...when i then click back on group "a.b.1", my
> 30,000 headers just seem to  completely disappear and it looks like
> it then retrieves the new headers that came in since the last time
> was on that group

Behavior --> Groups --> you might have "Mark articles read when leaving
the group" checked.

> i dont want that - i want it to keep all of my retrieved headers no
> matter where else i go in the app, until i explicitly remove them...
>
> any ideas what i might be missing? im thinking this may be a feature
> and not a bug, but i cant make sense of why it would do that
>
> thanks for any help/tips

Heinz