pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Errors downloading binary news

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Errors downloading binary news
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 23:45:42 +0100

On Friday 27 July 2018 21:43:02 Volker Wysk wrote:
> Am Freitag, 27. Juli 2018, 19:09:22 CEST schrieb Dave:
> > I've seen similar in the past.  I never identified the cause other
> > than it was only certain posters, possibly certain posting servers
> > or servers they passed through in common.  There was no fix I could
> > identify other than hope there would be enough PAR2 files to fix it.
> >
> > Having said that, I saw this happen in a.b.multimedia.cooking and
> > others seemed to be able to download the files ok so maybe it's a
> > combination of posting method or server and an issue with PAN.
>
> I've tried some half a dozen postings, and only one downloaded okay. This one
> consists of only one part, the rest were multi-part...
>
> Looks like a pan bug... I'm wondering if pan is still actively maintained.

It is.

> Have you (or anyone on the list) any experience with alternative usenet
> clients? I've tried XPN, but I couldn't figure out how to induce it to
> download any files.

Sorry, no.  I used to do binary downloads with klibido but that got abandoned.
Luckily Pan now supports binaries very well.  Hopefully someone will be along
shortly, such as Duncan, who may be able to help further.  Meanwhile, I'll keep
an eye out for any more of the .error files for further diagnostics.  I've not
seen any for some time though