pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Moribund Lists??

From: Beartooth
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Moribund Lists??
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 18:58:51 -0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 16:02:40 -0800, John Wendel wrote:

> Beartooth! Just seeing that name brings back great memories of great
> times on Usenet.

        Which group(s)? Alt.Appalachian, perhaps? Your name is
familiar ...

        Btw, the address I post from is real, and I check it two or three
times a day; but I'm not going to mention my main one here.

> Post something to the list in question. Check that you can see your
> post.

        I've been posting to other lists. Some of them. So I know that
news [dot] gmane [dot] <spammers die> is alive and well.

        There's one that will let me post by email, and also sends me
probes at times, but doesn't pick up Pan posts.

        There are several that require a fancy trick for ID -- which I
used for so long that I've forgotten how it looks. I should re-read.

        But there are several more (such as Dave Workman's on concealed
carry, Gmane's two for announcing and for discussing, the one for svlug,
and a couple from Wikipedia) that it really surprises me not to find
active. I guess I should try posting to them.

> I personally haven't had any Pan problems in years. Seems rock solid to
> me. I don't post anything anymore, just download binaries.

        Maybe your name is legion. I hope not.

> I suspect that most Usenet users have moved on to
> Facebook/Twitter/whatever.

        I suppose a lot have. And by now there must be orders of
magnitude of private lists. But I still use Gmane for lists where most
posts are over my head, or not relevant to me.
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.