pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan on windows

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan on windows
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 04:23:34 -0000 (UTC)

Dominique Dumont posted on Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:51:20 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Wednesday, 23 March 2022 11:21:54 CET Tom Tanner via Pan-users wrote:
>> I've been unable to save articles. The article is downloaded fine, but
>> it produces a xxxxx.ERRORS file instead,
>> with the contents
>>
>> ERROR: Write error on target file D:\Caches\TempDir\Temp\uuZNQJJ1: Bad
>> file descriptor
>
> That's a known issue on Windows:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pan/-/issues/106

While I can't do MS due to the EULA, the fact that the error persists no
matter where you save the file, as well as the pointer to %TEMP%,
indicates it's a problem there.

How much free space on that partition?  Just in case, you've tried a full
reboot (not just a hibernate), right?  What are the results of a fsck/
checkdisk/whatever run on that partition?

And assuming you have the space, does starting pan with $TEMP pointed at a
different partition (maybe a USB stick if you don't have a spare partition
available) change the result?

OT from here on but some may find the below Subject=TEMP "rant-story"
interesting (and others should but regrettably won't...): Back over two
decades ago now, before MS jumped the eXPrivacy shark and I switched to
Linux as a result, I used to run the MSIE public betas and was active in
the associated MS newsgroups.  That was when they were trying to integrate
IE with the explorer shell, and one of the first betas where MSIE was
running all the time as part of the shell had a very nasty $TEMP and IE
cache related bug: If you ran defrag it would corrupt-by-cross-linking the
IE cache along with other random files on the same partition, with those
files being overwritten by IE cache data.

A number of people running that beta lost some pretty critical files as a
result of that bug.  But on my system, despite a regularly scheduled
defrag that I never altered the schedule for during the beta, I never lost
anything significant, because I had a policy of putting both the IE cache
and $TEMP on a dedicated TEMP partition.  Nothing permanent or critical
was ever stored there except very temporarily, as I downloaded it or
whatever.

Turns out the bug was that for performance reasons IE was caching the disk
address of its cache index file(s) in memory and shortcutting the lookup
every time it wanted to write something to the cache.  Then defrag would
come along and move the index files elsewhere and IE, not knowing anything
about it, would blindly write to where they *HAD* been, overwriting
whatever was now in those disk blocks in the process.  As long as IE was
an ordinary app that was just loaded temporarily while you browsed or
downloaded files, very few people were affected (only those who happened
to run defrag at the same time, which wouldn't be many because of the
performance drag of all the disk access on other operations so most would
defrag, if they knew enough to do it at all, only when the computer was
otherwise idle), but as soon as it was integrated into the shell and thus
running constantly, anyone running defrag was affected.

MS solved the problem in the next beta (or release, which I think it
actually was in that case as IIRC the bug was in the second public beta of
two) by marking the IE cache index with the SYSTEM attribute, which worked
because defrag wouldn't touch SYSTEM attribute files -- they were left
where the were.

But all the bug could overwrite on my system were temporary files in any
case, because I had a dedicated TEMP partition with IE's cache pointed
there too (because I reasoned that those files were cache only and thus
temporary as well).  So I didn't have to care what it overwrote, and
literally did NOT care because even after the bug was known I didn't
bother changing my defrag schedule or what was defragged, at all, as long
as it stayed on the dedicated TEMP partition.

While I obviously had the "TEMP goes on a dedicated partition" rule before
that, that was one of the more concrete and lasting computer lessons/
experiences of my life, becoming an absolute THOU SHALT NOT MIX TEMP WITH
ANYTHING YOU VALUE personal commandment since.  I kept it when I moved to
Linux, where the vars are normally $TMP and $TMPDIR, with various cache
vars pointed into the same partition, these days generally a tmpfs (a RAM-
only virtual filesystem), so files that go there never actually hit disk,
these days an SSD, at all.

Of course the other lesson from that is the sysadmin's primary rule of
backups and data value, that being "You define the actual value of your
data not by any arbitrary claims as to its value, but by the number and
frequency of the backups you have of that data.  It follows that if it's
not backed up, the working copy is all you have, you are by definition
calling that data of only trivial value, not worth the time and trouble to
back it up at all and not worth worrying about if it gets corrupted/
deleted (I say as I have a fresh backup of my packages partition going in
another window).  That too has served me time and time again, particularly
given the fact that I tend to run betas and even live-git versions of
various packages, including earlier versions of my current filesystem,
btrfs.

(Unfortunate people would write to the then-still-listed-as-experimental-
btrfs mailing list telling tales of how they lost access to wedding
photos, etc.  Well I guess despite their claims to the contrary their
actions, or in this case their LACK OF backup actions, while using a
filesystem publicly known to not be production-ready to store those
photos, spoke louder than their words, as they defined by those actions
that those wedding photos were of only trivial value, not worth the hassle
to backup and not worth worrying about if lost.)

Of course the sysadmin's second rule of backups is that a backup cannot be
defined as a backup until it has been tested to be actually restorable
under conditions similar to those you'd be using if you actually had to
restore it. (That is, it can be restored from your rescue disk, USB stick,
etc, where you have access to any documentation necessary to figure out
how to do so, etc, and you've tested that said rescue disk/stick/etc is
actually bootable...)  Until that restore test has been completed
successfully, it's an intended backup in process, not a backup.

/rant