pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan on windows

From: Tom Tanner
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan on windows
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:05:39 +0000

On 24/03/2022 04:23, Duncan wrote:
Dominique Dumont posted on Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:51:20 +0100 as excerpted:

On Wednesday, 23 March 2022 11:21:54 CET Tom Tanner via Pan-users wrote:
I've been unable to save articles. The article is downloaded fine, but
it produces a xxxxx.ERRORS file instead,
with the contents

ERROR: Write error on target file D:\Caches\TempDir\Temp\uuZNQJJ1: Bad
file descriptor
That's a known issue on Windows:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pan/-/issues/106
While I can't do MS due to the EULA, the fact that the error persists no
matter where you save the file, as well as the pointer to %TEMP%,
indicates it's a problem there.

How much free space on that partition?  Just in case, you've tried a full
reboot (not just a hibernate), right?  What are the results of a fsck/
checkdisk/whatever run on that partition?

And assuming you have the space, does starting pan with $TEMP pointed at a
different partition (maybe a USB stick if you don't have a spare partition
available) change the result?

(rant removed)

There's no problem with space or the disc in general. I do full reboots every day. As noted in a post that I guess crossed with yours, it's a change introduced post 0.144. I had a look at the git diff and can't see anything terrifically obvious so it might be a library issue. Unfortunately the instructions for building under windows are (a) scary and (b) possibly out of date as they refer to gtk2 and I think pan is using gtk3 now?