parallel

Re: Error with Galaxy FreeBayes

From: Ernst, Kevin
Subject: Re: Error with Galaxy FreeBayes
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 15:41:56 +0000

On 23.03.21 at 19:48, Ole Tange wrote:
> All your reports include a dir called /jetstream. This leads me to
> suspect the error is dependent on your environment or distribution. So
> you should follow instructions in the link below and include the part
> about the environment.

Hi all,

For what it's worth, Jetstream (https://jetstream-cloud.org/) is a
virtualization environment aimed at National Science Foundation-funded
researchers in the USA.

 From context, I surmise that there are a number of researchers enrolled
in a Coursera course right now, using Galaxy on Jetstream VMs as the
learning platform.

For those of you enrolled in that Coursera course right now, my
recommendation would be that you report the error to the maintainers of
the course, because they are likely the only ones who can correct the
underlying problem specific to your situation. This will help other
students (and future students) as well.

The version of Parallel being used on your Jetstream VM images
(20170422) is different from the ones in the current "stable" or "LTS"
Linux distros right now (Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian Buster = 20161222;
CentOS 8 = 20190922), so it's possible that was just the available
version of Parallel when they created the VM image for the course.

The course facilitators may want to update the version of Parallel on
your VMs to see if it fixes the problem ('apt update' or 'yum update' or
similar), or else look into why the Galaxy job failed on their own.

In any event, I think the responsibility should be on them, not you, the
people participating in the course.

Feel free to forward this to them directly, if you think that would help
explain things.

--Kevin