playogg-discuss

[playogg-discuss] Hardware that supports Ogg Vorbis

From: Matt Ivie
Subject: [playogg-discuss] Hardware that supports Ogg Vorbis
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:26:08 -0600

I'm sure this topic has been brought up many times but I'm curious what
the current status is. What hardware devices support Ogg? I currently
use a 5th generation iPod running Rockbox to play my Ogg files but I was
curious about buying a head unit for my car that would play that format.
It seems that there aren't any...
I did a search on the xiph.org wiki and everything listed is either old
and discontinued or exists outside of the U.S.

My thing is this: why would anyone adopt this format if it was difficult
to get onto devices? Why isn't it supported on more devices and what do
we have to do to get it supported on these devices?

When I say way would anyone adopt this format, I'm talking about the
average user. I know why I adopt it and why anyone on this list would. I
want to be able to suggest to my friends that they should use it and be
able to point to some readily available commercial devices that support
it.

--
/* Free software is a matter of liberty not price.
    Visit www.GNU.org * www.FSF.org * www.trisquel.info */